Monday 5 May 2008

Jack in the Green


I love living in Hastings- its a town full of eccentrics, which is cool- I blend in nicely. Its also pretty cathartic to live a five minute walk from the beach- the sea speaks to me, as it does so many people. Today was one of my favourite days- Jack in the Green. An old custom revived in the seventies- its an excuse to dress up, drink and dance in the streets, LOL! Its also the day of a huge motorcycle rally- thousands of bikes roaring round- its one of the few times I switch the mp3 off- love the sound of a big bikes exhaust. Take the link to my Flickr site to see a bunch of pics- one pic I didnt get, sadly, was a guy looked exactly like Willy Nelson, walkin down the prom with an owl on his shoulder- dammit- he out-eccentriced me- must try harder!

The procession ends up at Hastings Castle where there is Morris dancing all afternoon till the Jack is slain, allowing summer to arrive- I can hear the drumming from across the valley as I write this. Amazingly, the weather has paid heed- and its a wonderful day- warm and sunny- I actually bared ma arms in public for the first time this year- skeeeeery!

No comments: